A staircase must always be built in the western or southern part of the house. It should not be constructed in the north-east corner, as it is believed that a staircase here can lead to financial losses. In fact, a staircase in any corner except the western or southern corner is believed to lead to losses.
Some basic principles :
- An external staircase can be built in the south-east – facing the east, south-west – facing the west, northwest – facing the north, and southwest – facing the south.
- The stairs should always start from the north and go towards the south, or from the east to the west. A turn can also be made to other sides in case of space shortage..
- The stairs must always be an odd number and the number must never end with a zero.
A spiral staircase is not advisable as it is believed to cause bad health. Also, a staircase encircling the building should be avoided as it is believed to lead to calamites.
- The room having a staircase in the southwest corner of a basement is not auspicious.
- It is advisable to have doors at the end and beginning of a staircase.
- Broken stairs must be repaired immediately.